BECAUSE YOU SAID YES
Together we helped 2,401 students in Asheville and Buncombe County enter the 2018-2019 school year better prepared with fully stocked backpacks! Conducting a successful school supply drive sounds easy enough; purchase a backpack, stock said backpack with school supplies and distribute. If only it were that simple! Over the years we've learned that it takes community support and participation to effectively meet the needs of local students.
Well, we asked, and you answered! For three weeks you made financial donations and bought backpacks and school supplies while out shopping and online. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. you also held your own school supply drives, got your neighbors and coworkers involved and volunteered your time; all to help ensure that as many students as possible head back to school this year with the basic supplies they'll need to both compete and win academically.
A few insights:
- A new record was set — 2,401 students supported with fully-stocked backpacks
- $84,035 — value of fully-stocked backpacks ($35 each)
- 51 — number of companies in support of this year's Drive
- 37 — number of agencies supported in this year's Drive
- Companies continue to be our biggest source of supplies during the Drive
As powerful as those numbers are, it's important to remember the people behind them. People like Himanshu and Swati Karvir.
Year in and year out, Himanshu and Swati Karvir champion this cause. They have personally donated and conducted outreach to contacts asking them to become involved. This year they even donated space for the Pack-N-Sort event where more than 1,000 backpacks were given to partners for distribution. Thank you, Himanshu and Swati for your incredible generosity — your commitment to supporting our community and its students is truly inspiring! Check out the WLOS story on Himanshu
We'd like to give a shout out to YOU and the hundreds of individuals who stepped up to make this drive a success. We'd also like to specifically thank
- Interns from Eaton
- United Way's Affinity Groups and Giving Societies
- A special thank you to Walmart for continuing to support and sponsor our Fill the Bus event
- Mix 96.5 FM for helping us spread the word
- UPS for providing a truck to transport supplies and backpacks. This simple act turned a full day's work into a few hours
- Check out the infographic
We had such a good time revisiting the 80s during our Backpack to the Future School Supply Drive, that we've decided to stay and throw a totally awesome 80s themed Campaign Kickoff party! We'll be serving mad grindage for you to eat and your first drink is on us. And if that's not enough, we're putting together the most bodacious lip-sync battle ever! Every team competing this year will be performing to their favorite 80s songs. So slip into those parachute pants, tease up that hair and join us for a most excellent time: