If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen! Words for the wise from the sixth annual Public Service Chili Cook-Off, held on Thursday, October 19th. With all proceeds going to support United Way's Community Investment Fund, this event — a community favorite — featured eight teams competing this year:
SPICY GOOD COMPETITION
- Team Secret Stache from theAsheville Fire Department featuring Firehouse Chili
- Team Everything's Better in Texas from Van Winkle Law Firm featuring Kirk's Chili (Texas-Style Meat)
- Team Angry Dave from Asheville Fire Department featuring Angry Dave's Sweet and Spicy Chili
- Team CaaS: Chili as a Service from Buncombe County Government/Department of Administration featuring 140 Ingredients of Less
- Team Clean & Mean from Buncombe County Government/Department of Sanitation featuring Vegetarian Chili — Where's the Beef?
- Team Culinary Punishment from Buncombe County Government/Detention Facility featuring Spicy Venison Chili
- Team United Way Vegetarian from United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County featuring White Veggie Chili
- Team Chef Chief from Asheville Fire Department featuring Conflagration Creation Hot Chili
AND TO THE VICTORS GO THE SPOILS
- Best Spicy: Culinary Punishment for their Spicy Venison Chili with home-grown chilis
- Best Mild/Medium: Clean & Mean for their Where's the Beef? Veggie Chili
- Most Unique and Best Overall: CaaS: Chili as a Service for their 140 Ingredients of Less — Pork Shoulder Chili
United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County would like to extend heart-felt gratitude to all those teams participating in this year's event and we hope to see you all — and then some — at the seventh annual Public Service Chili Cook-Off. This is just one more example of members of the community finding creative and fun ways to become active and engaged around issues such as education, health and financial stability. This is what LIVING UNITED looks like.