Are you looking to for a volunteer opportunity that will make a tremendous difference not only in 2015, but for years to come? Enka Middle Community School needs Student Success Mentors.
At Enka Middle School, the Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) team identifies students with behavioral issues and provides them with additional means of support. The PBIS team at Enka is currently expanding the support they provide to students and hope to establish a mentorship program that is driven by successful, young professionals. In many cases the students in these programs do not have adult role models in their lives. Mentors will act as role models, giving students an adult to look up to while also helping them achieve their personal and behavioral goals.
- Work with students and their teachers to establish specific behavioral goals that follow the school’s ABC’s (Attendance, Behavior, and Course Completion.)
- Create a safe environment conducive to improving the child’s behavior in, and outlook towards, school.
- Follow the PBIS provided curriculum during sessions with the student. Including discussion questions, student self-evaluation, and activities.
- Participate in evaluations of the mentoring time. Mentors will complete short evaluations each week that will be used to ensure that they and their mentee get the most out of your time together.
- Maintain student confidentiality.
- Must complete a volunteer application and criminal background check as required by the Buncombe County School District.
- A willingness and enthusiasm to work with middle school students, particularly those with disciplinary issues.
- Interest in promoting student academic and behavioral success at Enka Middle School.
- Attend an orientation and training session on how to work with youth.
- 1 hour per week. Either during the school’s remediation period from 8:55-9:40 or during the student’s lunch time. This will be a 30 minute block between 10:45 -1:10, dependent on the student.
- The mentor program will run in nine week cycles beginning the weeks of January 26th and March 30th.
- Trainings with the Enka Middle School PBIS team’s qualified professional staff will provide valuable knowledge and experience working with Middle School youth.
- Get to know students in the community and help make a positive impact on their lives.
- Become an important part of the Enka Middle School community as a volunteer. The staff, students, and administrators here value the important work volunteers do!
Community Engagement Coordinator