We are excited to announce that our volunteer center, Hands On Asheville-Buncombe, launched their new website this week with help from Galaxy Digital, a local Asheville-based company. Galaxy collaborates with United Ways around the country to support community volunteer efforts using their Get Connected database.
Great New Features
First and foremost - our web address is still the same: handsonasheville.org. With the new site, volunteers will be able to
- search and signup for service opportunities with ease using a simple user-friendly design
- volunteers can "like" certain causes or specific agencies - so when an opportunity in one is posted, they'll get an immediate alert
- we will still create a robust listing of projects that can be sorted by age, schedule or interest
- the site is mobile-friendly
- when volunteers log in they will see an infographic that calculates their own personal tally of volunteer impact
- and students and job hunters will probably like the "volunteer resume" - where they can download a good looking pdf image of their volunteer history.
What do nonprofit leaders think about the new system?
Earlier this week, Hands On and Galaxy Digital staff trained dozens of Partner Organizations how to manage their volunteer opportunities on the new system. Volunteer Managers from around the area learned how to post new opportunities, edit existing ones, and track volunteer hours.
- Dianne Lewis, Open Doors of Asheville: "I love that we'll be able to track volunteer hours and while we were in the training I realized that I could create a link on our page to our volunteer application. Things like this will make it easier for local nonprofits."
- Zoe Trout, Council on Aging of Buncombe County: "We get a majority of our volunteers from the Hands On website so the new layout will only help increase that. The features will help us track our impact and the volunteer hours which will help us when we are talking to funders and donors."
- Anna Alsobrook, Mountain True: "I really think this new site will streamline how volunteers can get connected to opportunities that connect with their passion. I'm excited to see how we can reach people we've maybe never reached before."