Hands On coordinates “We Care!” Experience for employee teams to participate in impactful service experiences that reduce the impact of poverty on people’s lives.
Last week, a dozen Highlands Circle members participated in a We Care! Experience here at United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County, creating 96 snack packs for Middle School students.
We Care! Experiences aim to connect the dots between volunteer activities and the community need behind each package created. For each project, we invite a guest speaker from the local benefitting nonprofit organization to share their story and talk to the team about the impact these packages have on the individuals and families they serve each day. Each package is placed in a bag or box that is personally decorated by volunteers, along with a handwritten note of encouragement.
MANNA Packs for Kids, which is a program that provides emergency food assistance to public school students in Buncombe County, works closely with school employees to identify at-risk student populations and MANNA Packs are delivered to the schools each Friday. They are designed to help keep kids fed throughout the weekend. The snack packs that Highlands Circle members created are intended to help supplement children during the week until they get their MANNA Pack on Friday.
Molly Pittman, the social worker from Enka Middle School, came to the We Care! Experience to share how these snack packs will impact her school.
"The Manna Packs program actually ends a few weeks before school does," said Pittman. "We are thrilled to be receiving the snack packs to help fill that gap between now and the end of school."
We look forward to many more collaborations throughout the community!
About the We Care! Experience:
Hands On manages all aspects of the experience, including:
• Facilitating all logistics before, during and after the event
• Communicating with your company team leader and the benefitting nonprofit
• Purchasing the needed supplies
• Managing the onsite volunteer experience
• Delivering the completed packages afterwards
• Project evaluations and summary project achievements
• Pre- and post-event photos shared with all partners
• Project achievements highlighted on our website and social media outlets
“WE CARE!” packages include:
- Snack Packs- Beverage and snack items given to students who need additional nutritional assistance.
- Activity Kits- Activity books, stickers, coloring supplies given to children of families going through crisis.
- Domestic Violence Shelter Kit (Parent)- Personal care and other items given to parents living at shelters.
- Domestic Violence Shelter Kit (Child)- Personal care and other activity items given to children living at shelters.
- New Mother Kit- Diapers, baby care items and educational materials given to new mothers impacted by poverty.
- Personal Care Kits- Personal care items given to students and families who are currently homeless.
- Welcome Home Box- Basic home supplies given to recently homeless individuals/families who are now in housing.
To learn more, and get your company involved, visit www.handsonasheville.org.