As you might know, we at United Way feel pretty fortunate to own this incredible building at 50 S. French Broad. Not only do we have space for our own work, we are also able to rent out office space to a number of great nonprofits, public services and a few small businesses.
Our Parking Lot
Our parking lot is used by the clients, staff and volunteers of these organizations.
- When OnTrack Financial is teaching a first time homebuyers class, their clients have free parking.
- When Children First/Communities in Schools is hosting a training for people serving students in their Resource Centers - they have free parking.
- When the board of directors and regular volunteers come to help out each of the 19 organizations in our building, they have free parking.
It's a valuable component of what we offer these agencies and our community.
We are thrilled about all the new activity across the street at 45 S. French Broad Ave. Some of our new neighbors include: Hopey & Company- a great and growing grocery store, The Grail Movie House - featuring independent films, Little Bee Thai - need we say more about some good eats, and soon, a total of 8 Hatch tech companies will call that space home (including Galaxy Digital – the company that built our volunteer database/website system). We wish each of these businesses and the building owners, Charlie and Troy Ball (also owners of Troy and Sons), the best of luck in their endeavors.
As construction continues on the building across the street, it will eventually include a 250 car parking lot on the back side of their building. Until that is complete, local congestion will grow. We have noticed that some people are finding it easy to park in our lot "for just a minute" while they run across the street. Unfortunately that impedes the daytime use of our lot by the clients, staff and volunteers of the agencies in our building.
To help provide clarity, and to be supportive neighbors to these small businesses, we've worked out a strategy to benefit all parties.
Our clients, staff and active volunteers can park in our lot for free, any day, any time.
Patrons of the businesses across the street are welcome to park here, for FREE, AFTER 5:30 weekdays and anytime on weekends.
This has been made possible by through financial support from Charlie and Troy Ball. The staff and volunteers of the residents of our building will receive a parking sticker to help us have a better sense of lot usage. Over the next few months, particularly during high traffic times, we will leaflet the cars without stickers so that they learn more about the rules of the lot and also the services available in our building.
While ultimately our responsibility is to support our tenants needs, we really do see this as a creative way to build a win/win for both our tenants and our new neighbors.
We want this strategy to succeed and perhaps be an example for other areas of our community. If you would, please help spread the word and support our efforts by respecting the posted hours. Thank you!
Tenants at 50 S. French Broad Ave
The following list of organizations call our building home. Learn more about these, and other, community resources. Call 2-1-1 to find out more
- Advantage Civil Engineering
- Arts for Life
- Aura Home
- Best Care Home Health Services
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of WNC
- Bountiful Cities
- Carolina Public Press
- Children First/CIS of Buncombe County
- Girls on the Run of WNC
- Inclusive Development International
- Innovative Structural Engineering
- Just Economics
- N.C. Services for the Blind
- OnTrack Financial Education & Counseling
- Skill Creations
- The Arc of Buncombe County
- United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County
- Youth Empowered Solutions