Following is a list of funded programs for the fiscal year of July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019. The list is organized by focus area and a number of organizations have multiple programs that are supported by United Way dollars.
When you give to United Way’s Community Investment Fund you are joining forces with others by supporting ALL of these programs AND you are supporting United Way’s own programs: NC 2-1-1, Hands On Asheville-Buncombe and our Community Schools Initiative. This is the power of United Way!
While most donors choose to give directly to United Way (the Community Investment Fund), others choose to designate their gift. Designated gifts can go to any 501(c)(3) and we will direct the give to that organization for you. Keep in mind that if you are making a gift of $1,000 or more and would like to be counted as a Leadership Giver, and want to designate, you will need to choose from one of our funded programs.
Questions? Call (828) 255-0696 anytime.
Funded Partners Through Grants and Contracts
Children from birth to kindergarten attend high-quality, affordable early care and education programs.
- Early Care and Education - Verner East, Verner West
- Early Learning Program - YWCA of Asheville and WNC
Youth strengthen the social and basic life skills they need for success.
- Girls on the Run Programs - Girls on the Run
- Community Troops - Girl Scouts Carolinas Peaks to Piedmont
Parents, caregivers and the community increase their support of the academic success of all children.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Buncombe County - Big Brothers Big Sisters of WNC
Children performing below grade level increase their basic academic skills.
- Learning Centers - Children First/Communities in Schools
- Youthful Hand Afterschool - Housing Authority of Asheville
- Augustine Project - Literacy Council of Buncombe County
- Read to Succeed - Read to Succeed Asheville
- 21st Century Community Learning Centers and Summer Discovery - YMCA of WNC
- MotherLove - YWCA of Asheville and WNC
Students with disabilities or special needs have diverse educational options.
- Early Learning Center - Irene Wortham Center
Parents and caregivers enhance their support of the development of children from birth to kindergarten
Family Advocacy, Support and Engagement - Verner
People in crisis or with ongoing needs have increased access to and use of public and private services that provide basic needs assistance.
- Disaster Relief & Recovery - American Red Cross
- Family Resource Center at Emma - Children First/Communities in Schools
- MANNA Packs for Kids and Food Distribution - MANNA FoodBank
- Empowerment Child Care - YWCA of Asheville and WNC
People increase their vocational, language and literacy skills.
- Southside Construction and GO Kitchen Ready - Green Opportunities
- Workforce Program - Irene Wortham Center
- Adult Education and English for Speakers of Other Languages - Literacy Council of Buncombe County
More workers earn a living wage.
- Living Wage Employer Certification - Just Economics
- Eliada Students Training for Advancement – Eliada Homes
- Employment Assistance Counseling – All Souls Counseling Center
People increase their capacity to move out of financial crisis.
- Financial Housing Counseling - OnTrack Financial & Counseling
- Justice For All Project - Pisgah Legal Services
- Hillcrest Community Resource Ctr - Women's Wellbeing & Development Foundation
People increase skills to manage financial resources and build stability.
- Road to Housing - Homeward Bound of WNC
- Money Self-Sufficiency - OnTrack Financial & Counseling
- Getting Ahead in a Just Getting by World - YWCA of Asheville and WNC
Low-income households have increased options for affordable and safe housing
- Homelessness Prevention & Progressive Engagement, Permanent Supportive Housing & Income - Homeward Bound of WNC
- Emergency Home Repair - Mountain Housing Opportunities
- Homelessness Prevention - Pisgah Legal Services
People and the community increase their power to prevent violence and abuse.
- Home Based Services for Juvenile Sex Offenders - Children's Hope Alliance
- Angels Watch, Trinity Place and Respite Scholarship - CARING for Children
- Child Abuse Prevention/Personal Safety Education/Outreach - Mountain Child Advocacy Center
- Preventing Domestic Violence - Helpmate
- Community & Family Mediation - The Mediation Center
- Prevention Education - Our VOICE
- Domestic Violence Prevention - Pisgah Legal Services
People experiencing trauma from violence or abuse increase their likelihood of recovery.
- PERCS - CARING for Children
- Crisis Intervention & Counseling - Mountain Child Advocacy Center
- Court Advocacy for Victims of Domestic Violence, Crisis Counseling and Crisis Stabilization - Helpmate
- Family Visitation Center - The Mediation Center
- Crisis Support, Client Services - Our VOICE
People have increased awareness of and opportunities for wellness, prevention and early detection.
- HIV Prevention & Care - WNC AIDS Project
- Preventive Health - YWCA of Asheville and WNC
Children, families and those at risk of poor health increase their physical activity and healthy eating.
- FEAST - Bountiful Cities
- Rainbow In My Tummy - Verner
Seniors and people with disabilities have the support they need to remain independent and in good health.
- Adult Day Services - CarePartners
- Resource Coordination, Benefits and Enrollment Services - Council on Aging of Buncombe County
- MemoryCare - MemoryCare
- Disability Assistance Project, Elder Law - Pisgah Legal Services
People increase use of effective primary, behavioral and dental health care regardless of ability to pay.
- Accessible Mental Health Care
- CARING Clinic - CARING for Children
- Haywood Street Respite - Haywood Street Congregation
- Permanent Supportive Housing Health Outcomes - Homeward Bound of WNC
- Dental, Integrated Behavioral Health, and HIV Treatment Adherence - WNC Community Health Services
- Access Family Services (Behavioral Health)
- Buncombe County Graduation Initiative
- Green Opportunities (Homework Diners)
- Children First / Communities in Schools (Success Equation)
- Asheville City Schools Foundation (In Real Life, Parent Leadership Program)
- Salvatin Army Boys & Girls Clubs (Family Leadership Program)