We weren't quite done at Erwin Middle School last Friday...
Elsewhere across the grounds, another group of volunteers—summer interns with the Eaton Corporation—were helping tend to the outside grounds, and helping the school's workers inside with general summer housekeeping. These interns brought such energy and productivity with them to this event that we can only use a list to show what all was accomplished:
- Painting over an old mural in the 8th Grade hallway
- Helping the ECC group a bit with their wonderful mural in the cafeteria
- Repainting several railings, plus touching up walls throughout the school
- Weeding and pruning in four different areas around the campus
- Leveling and mulching along a 60-foot length of wall
- Pulling approx. 350 desks form from 11 classrooms (in under 30 mins!)
- Assembling a [very complex] IKEA cabinet
The list only conveys a fraction of the impact of this group. Without events like this one at Erwin, and without the help of diligent volunteers, all of the tasks on this list must be completed by the veritable skeleton crew that otherwise takes care of the campus, ensuring it is ready to welcome students when they come back in the fall. It is an enormous amount of work, and the crew that we were able to help out and work alongside was effusive with their appreciation. It certainly lends perspective as one walks through the maze that is the campus, realizing what all maintenance must be done in only a few short months.
We will be hosting more volunteering events as the summer goes on, and we would love to have you come and join us, or donate to our cause. Projects like these are just one of the handful of ways we are trying to impact and bring attention to Asheville and Buncombe County Schools, and affect positive change throughout the system.
From United Way and Asheville and Buncombe County, as well as Erwin Middle School, thank you to the Eaton interns, for your unprecedented amount of energy and enthusiasm. We work better when we LIVE UNITED.