- Check that you are registered under your current name and current address. Go to the Voter Search page of the North Carolina Board of Elections and follow the prompts. If for some reason you are not listed or the information is not accurate, go to the Buncombe County Board of Elections at 77 McDowell Street to update your registration.
- Register to vote. A policy change for North Carolina is now in place that provides an opportunity for many to update their voter registration or register to vote online. Check out the details here.
- COVID-19’s impact on the elections. The NC Board of Elections has created this webpage that offers the latest information on the upcoming election.
- Learn about the candidates ahead of time. To make an informed decision, check to see if there is a guide comparing those candidates running for office. Closer to the November election, Democracy NC is planning to provide one for Buncombe County. A link to that guide will be included on this webpage.A good online website is Vote411. Before the general election, the League of Women Voters in many communities, including Buncombe County, provides information on candidates. The League is nonpartisan and typically lists the responses to questions it has posed to each candidate. By entering your address, you will be taken to a listing of the races that will be on your ballot.
- Pledge to Vote: Voter turnout is crucial in a democracy. If you don’t vote, you let others decide who will represent you. Visit "You Can Vote" and complete their form to receive brief, timely emails to prepare you for the general election in November.
United Way is committed to the idea that when citizens give, advocate, and volunteer, our community is stronger. Voting is one way to advocate. This page offers some of the many resources and links available to educate you on issues and the voting process in general. Should you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 828-768-4559. If you don’t know Ron, he is a retired United Way team member who is providing his expertise as a volunteer.
Voting Information and Resources
Redistricting reform has become an important issue. There have been numerous court cases in the last few years in both North Carolina and other states that have questioned how districts have been drawn. The term gerrymandering has become more well known, but: What is gerrymandering? + How does it affect our impact in and trust with elections? Here are three short videos that offer perspective: Gerrymandering Explained, What is Gerrymandering?, and Gerrymandering. These are all free to use and share.