Thank you for your interest in working with United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, meaningful work environment for staff and volunteers. Current opportunities are listed below. Scroll to the bottom of the page to stay connected with us on social media where we also post employment opportunities.
Community Investment Manager
This exciting, recently restructured full-time position supports two key impact strategies of United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County:
- Community Fund competitive grantmaking (50%)
- Middle School Success initiative (50%)
This position provides an opportunity for meaningful engagement with area nonprofits, school systems and community volunteers. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than June 12. Click here for a complete job description.
Community School Resource Coordinator
This exciting opportunity is a full-time position with United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County, however, the employee will work full-time in a designated middle school. This position provides an opportunity for meaningful engagement with area nonprofits, school systems and community volunteers. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 12. Click here for a complete job description.
AmeriCorps VISTA Members (Full Time)
AmeriCorps VISTA members will support our goals of success-ready ninth graders and improving graduation rates across Asheville and Buncombe County. VISTA members will be supporting county-wide efforts to develop an Early Warning and Response System, increase family engagement and increase community support of students. Members will support various projects of Middle School Success as well as support site specific needs of middle schools, including volunteer coordination, partnership development, community assessments, community engagement, outreach and event/program development. VISTAs will help to support the community school strategy at middle schools and will be working closely with school staff, out of school time providers, nonprofit staff and other groups to support students, families and surrounding neighborhoods. United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County has a culture that values teamwork, passion for supporting the community, and taking initiative. VISTA members are very much part of the team at United Way!
AmeriCorps VISTA members will work to increase the capacity of Middle School Success and help implement the community school strategy at Enka and Erwin middle schools. This includes:
- Participating in monthly meetings of the Asheville Buncombe Middle Grades Network (ABMGN)'s three work workgroups: Early Warning and Response System, Family Engagement and Community Engagement.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of county-wide strategies to increase graduation rates including short- and long-term plans for use of the community school strategy and an Early Warning and Response System (EWRS) for middle school youth. This includes needs assessments and support of the EWRS.
- Taking lead in volunteer coordination and community outreach at each school.
- Developing/expanding partnerships to support student and family engagement at each school. This includes event/program development, facilitating a resource team, and participating in school committees.
Writing/Editing, Recruitment, General Skills, Team Work, Public Speaking, Non-Profit Management, Meeting Facilitation
Childcare assistance if eligible, Health Coverage, Relocation Allowance, United Way Trainings, Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend, Living Allowance