Thank you for your interest in working with United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, meaningful work environment for staff and volunteers. All current opportunities are listed below, but be sure to check back often. You can also stay connected with us on social media where we post employment opportunities.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member
Applications Due: May 15
Number of Full Time Positions: 3
AmeriCorps VISTA members will support our Middle School Success initiative's goals of success-ready ninth graders and improving graduation rates across Asheville and Buncombe County. VISTA members will be supporting county-wide efforts to:
- Develop an Early Warning and Response System
- Increase family engagement
- Increase community support of students
Members will support various projects of the Asheville-Buncombe Middle Grades Network as well as support more site specific needs of middle schools, including volunteer coordination, partnership development, community assessments, community engagement, outreach, and event/program development. VISTAs will help support the community school strategy at middle schools and will work closely with school staff, out-of-school time providers, nonprofit staff and other groups to support students, families and surrounding neighborhoods. United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County has a culture that values teamwork, passion for supporting the community, and taking initiative.
Duties: AmeriCorps VISTA members will work to increase the capacity of the Asheville Buncombe Middle Grades Network (ABMGN) and help implement the community school strategy at Enka and Erwin middle schools. This includes:
- Participating in monthly workgroup meetings of the ABMGN: Early Warning and Response System, Family Engagement, and Community Engagement
- Assisting with the development and implementation of the ABMGN’s county-wide strategies to increase graduation rates including short and long-term plans for use of the community school strategy and an Early Warning and Response System (EWRS) for middle school youth. This includes needs assessments, and support of the EWRS.
- Taking lead in volunteer coordination and community outreach at each school.
- Developing/expanding partnerships to support student and family engagement at each school. This includes event/program development, facilitating a Resource Team, and participating in school committees.
About AmeriCorps VISTA: This AmeriCorps VISTA Member position is open to all U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens age 22 and older. A college degree is required. Members receive a modest living allowance. Members who serve for a year also receive limited health benefit options, childcare, if needed, and other benefits. After successful completion of a term of service, members can choose to receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend.
If interested, please apply on the AmeriCorps website.