Thank you for your interest in working with United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, meaningful work environment for staff and volunteers. Current opportunities are listed below. Scroll to the bottom of the page to stay connected with us on social media where we also post employment opportunities.
Click on job title for description and information on how to apply.
United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County is seeking energetic and talented individuals to be Loaned Executives for the 2015 annual campaign. The temporary, full-time positions begin Thursday, August 20, 2015, and end Friday, October 30, 2015.
Loaned Executives serve as United Way ambassadors, helping to convey and achieve vital goals in education, income and health that benefit the entire community. They assist companies and organizations with planning and implementing fundraising strategies that maximize workplace-giving campaigns. They also monitor, evaluate, and record campaign progress.
Being a United Way Loaned Executive is an excellent opportunity to develop as a leader, build relationships with local companies and organizations and be part of a team that is committed to creating long-lasting community change.
- Self-directed, enthusiastic, and creative
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Persuasive and honest presentation style
- Strong verbal, writing, and phone skills
- Positive and flexible with a true team player attitude
- Basic math and MS Office computer skills
- Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and proof of auto insurance
- Ability to lift 25 lbs consistently
Loaned Executives are hired for a 10-week assignment during the annual United Way campaign; it is essential that applicants be able to commit to the entire assignment. Bilingual skills are a plus.
Please submit a cover letter and resume that describes your experience in the following areas:
- Fundraising or sales and public speaking
- Teamwork and project/time management
- Math and computer skills
Send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “LE Search” by Friday July 24, 2015. Donations from community organizations provide compensation for each Loaned Executive position. As temporary employees, Loaned Executives do not receive benefits such as medical, dental, vacation, and sick leave. United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County values diversity and equal opportunity in employment and volunteer service.
AmeriCorps VISTA Members (Full Time)
AmeriCorps VISTA members will support our goals of success-ready ninth graders and improving graduation rates across Asheville and Buncombe County. VISTA members will be supporting county-wide efforts to develop an Early Warning and Response System, increase family engagement and increase community support of students. Members will support various projects of Middle School Success as well as support site specific needs of middle schools, including volunteer coordination, partnership development, community assessments, community engagement, outreach and event/program development. VISTAs will help to support the community school strategy at middle schools and will be working closely with school staff, out of school time providers, nonprofit staff and other groups to support students, families and surrounding neighborhoods. United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County has a culture that values teamwork, passion for supporting the community, and taking initiative. VISTA members are very much part of the team at United Way!
AmeriCorps VISTA members will work to increase the capacity of Middle School Success and help implement the community school strategy at Enka and Erwin middle schools. This includes:
- Participating in monthly meetings of the Asheville Buncombe Middle Grades Network (ABMGN)'s three work workgroups: Early Warning and Response System, Family Engagement and Community Engagement.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of county-wide strategies to increase graduation rates including short- and long-term plans for use of the community school strategy and an Early Warning and Response System (EWRS) for middle school youth. This includes needs assessments and support of the EWRS.
- Taking lead in volunteer coordination and community outreach at each school.
- Developing/expanding partnerships to support student and family engagement at each school. This includes event/program development, facilitating a resource team, and participating in school committees.
Writing/Editing, Recruitment, General Skills, Team Work, Public Speaking, Non-Profit Management, Meeting Facilitation
Childcare assistance if eligible, Health Coverage, Relocation Allowance, United Way Trainings, Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend, Living Allowance