2017 Fall Schedule
Homework Diners take place weekly (except on school holidays or half days)
- Erwin Middle School: Mondays 5:30-7:00 from 9/25-12/11
- Enka Middle School: Tuesdays 5:30-7:00 from 9/26-12/12
- Asheville Middle School: Tuesdays 5:00 - 7:00 from 9/26-12/12
- Owen Middle School will begin hosting Homework Diners on Mondays beginning 1/29/2018
About Homework Diners
United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County, along with partners in the Asheville Buncombe Middle Grades Network has rolled out a new tool that supports students, their families and their neighboring communities. This tool is called “Homework Diners” and the model has had significant success in Albuquerque, New Mexico where the idea was born.
Homework Diners are weekly family engagement events that allow students and families to receive homework support from paid teachers and volunteer tutors and a free meal for the whole family. They currently take place at three area middle schools, Asheville, Enka, and Erwin. Homework Diners are open to any family with a K-12 student in the surrounding school district. Attendees will also have a chance to learn about community resources and take advantage of a variety of educational programs at these events.
Click Here For Local News Coverage - includes a story by the Mt. Xpress and links to stories by WLOS and the Asheville Citizen-Times.
And here's a news story about the New Mexico program we were inspired by:
Local Parent Reactions
My favorite part of Homework Diners was seeing my child learn and catch on to something he is struggling with.
We talk and the teachers and my child and I have become closer and my child feels more secure with teachers.
The community has needed this for a long time.
Keep up the good work! Thanks! This has been a great, uplifting experience.
This is the first time I have felt real hope for my child at school. I was able to meet with his teachers and it wasn’t some huge deal. We just spoke and I feel like I was actually heard. THIS diner is a good thing.
Local Student Reactions
My favorite part of Homework Diners was the interaction with people and getting to do homework.
It improved my grades from D’s to B’s.
I trust my teachers more now.
Local School Staff and Community Partners
What Can We Expect Here In Buncombe County?
All of the partners involved in the Asheville Buncombe Middle Grades Network are interested in embedding as many community building elements into these weekly events. That's why we are:
- Contracting with local culinary arts educational programs, like the one at Green Opportunities, to provide the meals. This means that their program participants get valuable real world experiences they can transfer to their next job AND families get a delicious and healthy meal.
- Providing stipends for local teachers who are interested in providing homework help/tutoring for the students
- Providing homework help/tutoring for the parents so they can learn how to better help their kids when they are at home
- Partnering with local service providers and businesses like OnTrack Financial Education and Self Help Credit Union we will provide classes around budgeting, financial planning and homeownership.
- Enlisting help from local health providers to share preventative education programs as well as special health screenings for conditions like diabetes or heart health.
- And based on the interests and needs of the community, many other kinds of classes and partnerships can and will be built.
Homework Diners are funded in part by a grant from The Community Foundation of Western North Carolina and sponsorship from Arby's Foundation and the Brumit Restaurant Group.