Celebrating Volunteers for National Volunteer Week
We are incredibly grateful to the community members who show up to share their time each week and each month in service to others, with a vision of a more connected, equitable community. While we celebrated Volunteer Appreciation Week April 19-25 alongside so many others, we also recognize and uplift our community volunteers every day. Global nonprofit Points of Light shares that Volunteer Appreciation Week "is an opportunity to recognize the impact of volunteer service and the power of volunteers to tackle society's greatest challenge, to build stronger communities, and be a force that transforms the world." And we couldn't agree more.
Because of You, Volunteers...
- Because of you, over 4,500 meals were served at Homework Diners to students and families throughout Buncombe County. There were 422 unique volunteers who contributed nearly 2,000 volunteer hours.
- You've been by our side serving on key campaign committees, participating in poverty simulations, and spending countless hours practicing dance moves for our annual Lip Sync Battle Campaign Kickoff.
- Because of you, the 2019 Holiday Book Drive collected 2,800 books that are now in the hands of local students.
- Nearly 1,000 snack packs were delivered to four community schools.
- Because of you, 115 local nonprofits were supported in over 4,000 volunteer needs.
- You helped us hit a new record high of sending 2,800 students back to school with fully stocked backpacks.
- Because of you, 460 volunteers joined together to complete 36 different projects at 39 nonprofits during our 2019 Days of Impact.
- Because of you, Asheville, Enka, Erwin, and Owen Middle Schools 'Resource Closets' have remained cleaned and organized. Our student and parent voices have been uplifted and our Resource Teams partnered to create solutions to challenges that our students and families face every day.
** THANK YOU! We cannot do this work without each and every one of you!
Stay Connected as we continue to move through COVID-19