The choice to serve our nation through military service is not something to be taken lightly. The sacrifices made by the men and women who serve, and by those that love them are profound and we hope that today, and every day, you feel our appreciation.
On this Veterans Day, we look forward to the day when sacrifices like these are far and few between.
We also recognize that the headlines are heartbreaking. According to a recent article in USA Today, last year 325 active-duty troops took their own lives, a rate of 24.8 per 100,000. The civilian rate is 18 per 100,000. And United Way Worldwide shared that nationally, there are 40,000 military veterans living on the streets and struggling to survive; Studies show that almost 25 percent of veterans have a service-connected disability, and 6,000 former service members die by suicide every year.
For those that have served, or for those who simply appreciate their sacrifice, United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County can connect you to opportunities to serve veterans in need, or find resources to support yourself or someone you love.
Are You Interested in Volunteering to Serve Veterans?
Our volunteer center, Hands On Asheville-Buncombe, can help you connect to meaningful volunteer experiences of all kinds. Follow this link to find several volunteer projects that support local veterans. Projects include
- Shake and Bake - prepare and serve a homemade lunch to the men staying at the ABCCM Veteran's Restoration Quarters & Inn.
- Dinner Cook Team - prepare and serve dinner at ABCCM's Steadfast House serving women and children, with special outreach to female veterans.
- Serve as a Herocare Caseworker in support of active military and veterans through the American Red Cross
Are You Looking For Resources That Support Active Military and Veterans?
Answers to your questions are on the other side of a phone call. Simply dial 2-1-1 or (828) 252-HELP (4357) and you can speak to one of our highly trained Community Resource Specialists who can walk you through any number of military-specific or general community resources that can help you or someone you love. When appropriate, our team can connect you to a specialized call center tailoring resources specifically for veterans, active military and their families.
Just a few local services listed in our database for veterans include:
- Homeless Veteran Assistance including case management, medical clinics and housing assistance to homeless veterans through the VA
- Healing wilderness expeditions for veterans through NC Outward Bound
- Supportive services for female veterans at Aura Home Women Vets
- Arts and wellness programming for veterans through the Asheville Arts Council
Dial 2-1-1 and speak with one of our Community Resource Specialists - the call is FREE, Confidential and we are available 24/7 in any language.
Finally, A Thank You To Own Staff Members Who Have Served
If you served, we thank you. We also want to thank our current staff members who have served as well:
- Kevin Montgomery - US Army and our Director of Resource Development
- Sandra Higgins - US Marines and our Donations Processing and IT Operations Manager
- Ken Venables - US Navy and United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County Engagement Manager
- Bruce Waller - US Army and our Community School Coordinator at Asheville Middle School
- Kiesha Lewis - US Airforce and NC 2-1-1 Community Resource Specialist and local REALTOR