The WNC Social Justice Advocacy Guide is led by former United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County teammember, Ron Katz. Be sure to sign up for their informative updates about educational opportunties and voting related activities and events in the area.
Here are just a few events from the most recent newsletter:
- August 28th - The Buncombe County Board of Elections is offering two trainings, 2 - 4 pm and 6 - 8 pm on Photo Voter ID requirements which will go into effect in 2020. If you have plans to do any voter registration work, this is an important workshop to attend. Details at this flyer.
- September 4th - The League of Women Voters is offering a national "town hall" from 6 - 6:45 pm for their "People Powered Fair Maps Campaign". Though listed as a League event, it is likely anyone interested can register here.
- September 5th - Voter Registration Training - League in Schools, 6:00 - 7:30 pm, at North Asheville Public Library, 1030 Merrimon Ave. offered by the LWV Asheville-Buncombe.This is mandatory training for participants in the League's High School voter registration program. Others can attend to learn how to register voters in North Carolina, new voter ID rules for 2020 and more. Free.
- September 12th - Daryl Davis offers “Klan We Talk”, his efforts to seek out neo-Nazis and members of the KKK, 7 pm, at Congregation Beth HaTephila, 43 N. Liberty. Enter through Broad Street parking area. Free.
- September 29th - This year is the 50th anniversary of the Asheville-Buncombe CROP Hunger Walk. If interested in participating or creating a team, get details here.
- October 3rd - Mark your calendars for Pisgah Legal Services’ Poverty Forum. Tickets to the forum are free, and $60 to attend the pre-event reception. Here are the latest details.
- October 7th - Census Training for Non-Profits, 9:30 am - noon, at the Land-Of Sky Regional Council. Interested non-profit groups contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- October 17th - 19th - Mark your calendar for the 6th annual African-American conference at UNCA.