United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County is issuing a Request for Proposals (RFP) for an evidence-based Parent Leadership Program for Enka Middle School. This program is based on a highly effective evidence-based program that has grown nationwide to more than 85 schools with more than 700 parent participants annually.
- Lead organization recruits and trains 6-8 Enka parent mentors per year to assist teachers in the classroom for two hours per day, four days per week.
- Parent mentors are assigned to a classroom where they work one-on-one and in small groups with students. After reaching a certain number of volunteer hours, parent mentors receive a stipend.
- One day per week, parent mentors receive extra training around academic instruction, professional development, community engagement and leadership skills.
- Schools build trusting relationships and partner with families who otherwise have historically seen the school as unwelcoming.
- Parent mentors build the relationships to navigate our local school system successfully and strengthen skills they need to support their children throughout school. Parents become community leaders and share their skills and knowledge with neighbors.
- Students have additional mentors and positive caring adults in their classrooms.
- Teachers build empathetic relationships with parents and their communities.
Important Dates and Process
Organizations that intend to submit proposals must set up a time to meet with United Way to discuss the program details prior to submitting an application. Contact Deborah at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828.236.9504 to set up a meeting.
- Submit your completed online application by Friday, June 14, 2019.
- Candidates will be notified by late July.