United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County
hosted another successful Campaign Kickoff!
United Way staff, board members, and community supporters gathered together on Friday, October 21st for a night filled with the best tunes of the early 2000s. Performers, comprised of individuals and workplace teams, along with audience members, were able to take part in the night’s festivities through either a choreographed lip-sync performance or an impromptu lip-sync battle. As the evening went on, more and more audience members took to the dance floor to either battle it out or just enjoy the ‘throwback’ tunes. Almost everyone left full, thanks to 828 Pizza, and with a 2000s jam stuck in their head.
This event was not only designed to build our community spirit and ties but also to kick off our “Campaign Season” together and focus on why we all dedicate our time, dollars, and energy to the Asheville and Buncombe County community.
Local businesses throughout Buncombe County participate in Campaign Season by allowing us to help educate their employees on our work to create a more equitable community and hold a fall fundraising campaign to simultaneously support our work. Many of these companies, organizations, and their employees have been supporters and volunteers for years, generously sharing their time, talent, financial gifts, and spirit with us and our greater community. In short, workplace campaigns serve as a mechanism for employees to engage, and make positive changes, in the communities where they work, live, and raise children. And each company brings its unique ideas to how they rally support and funding — from dunk tanks to chili cook-offs to flower bouquet sales and golf tournaments. Because understanding and fighting for important issues call for us to come together in the community. We're also incredibly grateful to our Campaign Sponsors, without which this would not be possible, WNC Bridge Foundation, Park National, and DMJPS.
United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County serves as a conduit for people and organizations that want to do for others. We are here to work with others to find the root causes of problems and band together to address them. We are here to both lead and follow as we build relationships and community. In keeping with this core mission, we encourage you to explore, connect, and engage in your community by clicking the links below:
- Support our work by making a financial gift to the LIVE UNITED Fund. All dollars stay local and help to support students and families.
- Engage through your place of business. If your place of business participates in our Workplace Campaign, get involved. If you work at or own a business that does not currently participate consider joining other local organizations engaged in shaping our community's future.
- Volunteer your time in support of students and families. We're thrilled to announce Community Nights featuring Homework Diners. We're actively recruiting volunteers to fill multiple positions. There are plenty of available dates and times, so sign up today!
- Give the gift of literature this holiday season. The 2022 Holiday Book Drive begins on November 1st and runs through December 9th. Stop by Barns and Noble on Tunnel Road and pick up a book while doing your holiday shopping.
- Learn more about our work: