The Alexis de Tocqueville Society Community Service Award is given each year to an individual or family whose service and generosity exemplify the true spirit of volunteerism that Tocqueville himself wrote of :
"When an American asks for the cooperation of his fellow citizens, it is seldom
refused; and I have often seen it afforded spontaneously, and with great goodwill."
--Alexis de Tocqueville
Democracy in America 1835
Criteria for Award
The award recipient(s) is recognized for:
- Outstanding contributions to the nonprofit health and human services of our community.
- Commitment to the work of United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County with gifts of time and money.
- Sustained contributions over a period of years, preferably to a variety of nonprofits.
- Leadership that promotes philanthropy among others and throughout the community.
- Generosity in personal giving, member of the Tocqueville Society.
2002 - Buddy and Marilyn Patton & Barbara Blomberg
2003 - Janice and Joe Brumit
2004 - Jerry Sternberg
2005 - Pam and Jim Turner
2006 - Heather and Bill Lee
2007 - Charlie and Eleanor Owen
2008 - John and Diane Teeter
2009 - Charlie and Cary Owen
2011 - Jim and Robin Stickney
2013 - Dot Hamill & Marla and Joel Adams
2014 - Barbara and George Groome
2015 - Barbra and Keith Love
2016 - Ann and Mike Young
2018 - David and Sherie Bailey (Honorary)
2019 - Taylor and Gary Foss
2020 - Tracy and Scott Buchanan
2021 - Jennie Eblen and Bobbie Eblen